Unique identifier for licenses

Karl Fogel kfogel at red-bean.com
Mon May 2 02:41:30 UTC 2011

"Mathieu Gervais (IDEAS)" <Mathieu.Gervais at morganstanley.com> writes:
>Right. I was hoping OSI would just seed with the initial SPDX list..
>and then take it from there (and then SPDX have the wisdom to leverage
>whatever addition OSI did so there is no fork).
>Maybe I'm dreaming :)
>Do you know where I should ask?

You're asking in the right place, at least for OSI.  Here's what I'd
like to do:

  1) For every license for which there is a SPDX identifier, make sure
     that http://opensource.org/licenses/IDENTIFIER exists and is
     canonical (i.e., does not redirect).  In some cases, we will need
     to redirect existing pages to the new page, of course.

  2) For any OSI-approved license for which there is no SPDX identifier,
     create one using the same algorithm SPDX used.  Also, at least try
     to contact them and get them to sign off on the acronym choice :-).

Regarding (1), my only caveat is that I don't yet know if OSI considers
some of its abbreviations to be canonical -- i.e., shouldn't redirect.
Does anyone here know the answer to that?

(Descriptions of licenses would, of course, also reference the canonical
abbreviation, and distinguish it from colloquial abbrevations -- though
should list them all, being a primary reference.)

Assuming there's no reason *not* to be in sync, then SPDX and OSI should
stay in sync.  But it would be premature to commit to this until we
actually have that conversation.  I'll try to start that conversation
(or maybe there already is one, in which case I'll try to find it :-) ).

There's no reason any of this needs to bottleneck OSI's license approval
process.  Approving a license need not be simultaneous with establishing
a canonical abbreviation for it, although in practice they probably can
be (and ideally would be) simultaneous.

-Karl