Updating the License List [was Re: Updating the Python License]

Luis Villa luis at tieguy.org
Tue Mar 8 21:00:43 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 12:48 PM, Chuck Swiger <chuck at codefab.com> wrote:
> And while we're at it, we might as well categorize the CNRI/BEOPEN.COM portion as
> deprecated or retired in favor of the PSFLv2.  Russ, do you have any concerns?  Or anyone else...?  :-)

If we're in "while we're at it" mode, I sent the following email a
year ago, suggesting four changes to the license list:

====

I was poking at the licenses list, and came across some licenses which
appear to belong in the "Licenses that have been voluntarily retired"
list.

* CUA Office license: per their website[1], the project was dissolved
and they requested that the license be 'withdrawn from the OSI list'.

* Sun Public License v 1.0: Simon says this is officially retired:
http://blogs.sun.com/webmink/entry/addressing_proliferation_deeds_not_just

* CA TOSL: can no longer find essentially any references to this on
the CA website[2]; appears to have been written to cover the official
source release of Ingres in 2004[3], but Ingres has since moved to
GPL[4]. Not sure this counts as voluntarily retired, per se, but does
seem to have basically vanished off the net (other than the OSI
website.)

* Ricoh Public Source License: can't find any references to this on
the ricoh website, and the site and projects it was originally
intended to work with (risource.org) appears to be AWOL, and as best
as I can tell no one distributes any code under this license. Same as
above: maybe not voluntarily retired, but basically vanished from the
net other than OSI.

Luis

[1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/cuaoffice/
[2] http://www.google.com/search?q="trusted+open+source+license"+site%3Aca.com
<- first hit there doesn't actually contain the text; second hit is a
slide deck; third deck is historical information.
[3] http://investor.ca.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=315670
[4] http://www.ingres.com/about/licenses/ingres-license.php