Updating the Python License

VanL van.lindberg at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 20:09:06 UTC 2011

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for your reply.

On 3/8/2011 11:49 AM, Chuck Swiger wrote:
>> 1. In order to avoid confusion, would you please arrange for the removal of the separate CNRI Python License located at http://opensource.linux-mirror.org/licenses/pythonpl.php?
>
> As far as I know, there isn't an association between linux-mirror.org and the OSI, although they do appear to be mirroring much of the content of http://www.opensource.org, as well as other things such as Apache projects, curl, webmin, etc.  You'd have to discuss it with that site, presumably<webmaster at linux-mirror.org>  or<ralf.uhlemann at vssgmbh.com>  would be potential contacts.

Sorry for the confusion regarding the mirror. Regardless, the CNRI
license at http://www.opensource.org/licenses/pythonpl has the same issue.

>> 2. We would like to make the distinction between the Python license (the stack referred to above) and the PSF License (the license at the top of the stack) clear. We would also like to have both of these recognized by the OSI due to their longstanding use in the Python community.
>>
>> How can this be done?
>
> Now, submitting a license for review and approval if it meets the OSI guidelines is something we do.  :-)  However, I believe that we've already approved both the historical CNRI license and the PSF license:
>
>    http://www.opensource.org/licenses/pythonpl
>    http://www.opensource.org/licenses/PythonSoftFoundation
>
> If there is some additional suggestions that you'd like to make to help clear up the distinction between the historical bits of the Python license, and the modern PSF license (ie, the top of the stack, as you describe it), we can probably figure out a way to make that happen.

What I would like to do is the following:

1. Have the license at http://www.opensource.org/licenses/pythonpl be
renamed the "CNRI Open Source License Agreement for Python" and have the
text updated to the final version as included in the middle of the stack
from http://www.opensource.org/licenses/PythonSoftFoundation.

2. Have the license at
http://www.opensource.org/licenses/PythonSoftFoundation be renamed the
Python License.

3. Have the license from the top of the stack from
http://www.opensource.org/licenses/PythonSoftFoundation (down to but not
including "BEOPEN.COM") be approved as an OSI license and named the
"Python Software Foundation License."

Thanks,

Van