Aggregate of GPL and CPAL?

Victor Mataré matare at lih.rwth-aachen.de
Tue Mar 8 19:46:09 UTC 2011

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to find out if I can bundle my GPLv3 product with a third-party product which uses CPAL 1.0. I'm pretty sure I'm not creating a derived work since I'm not subclassing or modifying anything. I'm only instantiating a couple classes from the CPAL software in my GPLv3 piece. Plus I'd like to put both programs into a single archive and distribute them as a simple unzip-and-run use case. In terms of the GPLv3 I'm pretty sure the scenario qualifies as an aggregate and the common archive is just the distribution medium, but I'm not sure I understand the CPAL well enough. Is the "larger work" vs. "modification" terminology in CPAL analogous to the "aggregate" vs. "derived work" wording in GPL? Did I overlook some other restriction that might apply in this case?

thanks,
Victor