GPL and closed source

Cinly Ooi cinly.ooi at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 07:38:33 UTC 2011

Dear All,

Wouldn't that mean that according to the FSF you may not write GPL
> software for Windows as your GPL code would access the non-GPL Windows
> API?  Then how can the FSF advertise GPL software for Windows[1]?
>
> Thomas W.

No. I cannot find a reference to it on FSF site, but I remember FSF says
something along the line that you can develop GPL programs on proprietary
API provided you only use the core library shipped with the system.

As a mental exercise,  I note that there are quite a lot of authors put GPL
software on Matlab, which did lead me to ponder how FSF would view it. I
came to the conclusion that it might be OK with vanilla Matlab, i.e., you
build your GPL software without using any of the Matlab Toolbox.

HTH and Best Regards,
Cinly

*****
Don't bother with footer please. I don't read them and will not be bounded
by them.
It cannot be enforced legally anyway. If it can, then remember this: This
footer always triumph yours.