Zeo Developer Terms of Use

Ian Jackson ijackson at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Thu Jan 27 13:47:23 UTC 2011

Chad Joan writes ("Re: Zeo Developer Terms of Use"):
> I can own the copyright in all of the GPL code in the sense that I don't
> intend to try and (re)license Zeo's code under GPL; I'd only be GPL'ing the
> code that I write.

Right.

> What is a dispensation?  Searching around tells me that it's making an
> exemption to some part of the license, but I'm not sure what I'd be
> exempting.

See the URL I just posted.

> The other way I could take "own the copyright in all the GPL code" would be
> to mean that I can't have other contributors that share in copyright
> ownership for the GPL (as in not Zeo's) code.  That would be unfortunate.
> Say it ain't so!

No, all of your other contributors to _your_ GPL-with-dispensation
part just need to agree to that, just like they agree to the standard
GPL, or whatever other licence, for any another project.  There is no
particular special difficulty.

_BUT_ you must not copy GPL/LGPLD'd code from other projects, or link
to GPL/LGPL'd libraries.  (Apart from system libraries, which have a
special exception.)

Ian.