Zeo Developer Terms of Use

Ian Jackson ijackson at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Thu Jan 27 13:33:13 UTC 2011

Chad Joan writes ("Re: Zeo Developer Terms of Use"):
> That makes sense.  I was/is planning to release only my own code under GPL,
> but I hadn't thought about pointing to the Zeo license yet.  So good point.

If you want a copyleft licence for your own code you can easily use
one of the GNU licences with a special exemption allowing linking to
Zeo.

In your situation this is what I would do.  Here is the FSF FAQ entry
on the subject:

http://gplv3.fsf.org/wiki/index.php/FAQ_Update#What_legal_issues_come_up_if_I_use_GPL-incompatible_libraries_with_GPL_software.3F

NB that you are not then entitled to use _other_ GPL'd or LGPL'd
libraries in your project, because they would also have to give the
same exceptional permission.  However many GPL'd library authors can
be willing to do so, if you explain the situation to them.  Whether to
grant an exception like this is a matter more of tactics rather than
strategy so if you convince the authors that overall people will be
more free if they say "yes" you'll often get a sympathetic response.

Ian.