Zeo Developer Terms of Use

Chad Joan chadjoan at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 07:10:09 UTC 2011

Hello,

My intent is to write a GPL application using the Zeo Raw Data
Library<http://developers.myzeo.com/raw-data-library/>,
which can be used to record brainwaves in near-realtime.  The library is
given under this license <http://developers.myzeo.com/terms-and-conditions/>,
which I've converted into a PDF and attached, incase it changes.

I've contacted Zeo already and expressed my concerns about the part that
says "You further agree not to otherwise *reproduce, modify,
distribute,*decompile, disassemble or reverse engineer any portion of
the Zeo Developer
Interface or any data provided by Zeo, Inc.." since I intend to
reproduce/distribute it with my program.  They seem willing to change this.
So don't worry about that.

I was also eye-balling the (7) "Modfication" and (8) "Termination" clauses.
It sounds kind of like if I were to go around spreading gossip and then,
when it backfires, decide that I want to erase my words from everyone else's
memory.  So I'm curious, can that kind of clause actually work?  Should
either I or the Zeo folks be worried about these clauses?

Is there anything else in those terms I should be concerned about when I go
to release my software?

As far as I can tell, in the consumer EEG market Zeo has been the most open
about encouraging the hacking/modification/unforseen-uses of their product.
They seem quite willing to listen to suggestions about this license stuff
since they want to encourage their community to develop projects that do
nifty things with the Zeo.

Thanks in advance,
- Chad