Best license query -

Conrad CRAMPTON PSE 52704 conrad.crampton at kent.pnn.police.uk
Tue Feb 8 14:56:09 UTC 2011

Chris,
Thanks for this info. This was pretty much what I was expecting really,
I will have a look round for an appropriate licence which I could
modify. The issue of open source in the police service has been kicking
around for years now and we've (the service as a whole) have only just
managed to get a policy out that permits the use of open source
(although we have practically been using OSS for years now - Apache,
Linux, Eclipse etc.). Going the full open source route at the moment
would certainly cause a few burst blood vessels with the policy makers!
Regards
Conrad

Conrad Crampton

Software Development Manager
Force Headquarters
8 Edinburgh Square
Sutton Road
Maidstone
ME15 9BZ
01622 652885 (ext)
19-2885 (internal)
07972 004551  (mobile)
conrad.crampton at kent.pnn.police.uk

>>> "Jeffery, Christopher" <C.Jeffery at taylorwessing.com> 08/02/11 13:30

Hello,
If you want to restrict use to other police forces, you don't open
source - you create a fairly simple template free but 'traditional'
(i.e. specific to that user organisation) licence that you either get
signed in the old-fashioned way, or which you incorporate into an online
process in a secure environment accessible to technologists within other
forces (if such a thing exists).
Open source involves the loss of control over onward distribution and
use that you want to avoid.    As to where you would get such a licence,
there will be licences available online, but I see a degree of bespoke
elements here which, though not overly-complicated, would need some
thought, and perhaps some input from a friendly lawyer :)
As requested, I have avoided any mention of how good OS development can
be, even for this scenario!
Chris