Best license query -

Conrad CRAMPTON PSE 52704 conrad.crampton at kent.pnn.police.uk
Tue Feb 8 13:13:22 UTC 2011

Hi,
I work for a development team in a UK police force. We produce good quality J2EE software for the use of principally by my police force. However, as money is tight across the UK policing now, other forces are looking to adopt solutions developed by my team in their forces. As ardent consumers of open source tools in our development environment and component use, I would like other police forces to use as they see fit my software. However, some of the applications do have a security risk associated with them if they were licensed according to one of the standard / recommended licenses. Basically what I would like to do is give my software away to other police forces so they can modify, copy etc. , but impose restrictions on the redistribution of it. I wouldn't be happy for the software to go to a commercial supplier who then charges for it.
Is there an appropriate existing licence for this? Does anyone have any recommendations about this generally? I don't particularly want to get into a debate about the merits of fully open sourcing these apps and the benefits that this may bring in relation to enhanced security, the debate on this has been well rehearsed at a national level and is deemed not appropriate for the police service at this moment in time.
Thanks for any advice.
Conrad

Conrad Crampton

Software Development Manager
Force Headquarters
8 Edinburgh Square
Sutton Road
Maidstone
ME15 9BZ
01622 652885 (ext)
19-2885 (internal)
07972 004551  (mobile)
conrad.crampton at kent.pnn.police.uk

--
This email and any other accompanying document (s) contain information from Kent Police, which is confidential or privileged.  The information is intended to be for the exclusive use of the individual(s) or bodies to whom it is addressed. The content including any subsequent replies could be disclosable if relating to a criminal investigation or civil proceedings. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately by contacting the sender or telephoning 01622 690690.