[License-discuss] GPL and proprietary WebAPIs

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Tue Dec 27 07:49:53 UTC 2011

Clark C. Evans scripsit:

> My question involves 3 works, not 2.  We have a original
> work O, a "derived" work D (O + a shim/adapter), and an
> independent proprietary work P; where D derived from O
> under copyright law, D relies upon P for its operation,
> and where P has no substitutes.  I am assuming that by
> copyright law the author of O can restrict the distribution
> of D.  Let's further assume that P has no substitutes, so
> that its functionality is not available under a license
> compatible with the GPLv3.  So, my question is if the GPLv3
> would restrict the distribution of D due to its dependence
> on this independent and proprietary work P.

As a worst case, the behavior of P can be reverse engineered,
since it is communicating openly with D in a way that can be
analyzed.

If you don't know about the Affero GPL3, you should look into it.

--
XQuery Blueberry DOM                            John Cowan
Entity parser dot-com                           cowan at ccil.org
    Abstract schemata                           http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
    XPointer errata
Infoset Unicode BOM                                 --Richard Tobin