[License-discuss] GPL and proprietary WebAPIs

Ben Tilly btilly at gmail.com
Sun Dec 25 18:22:12 UTC 2011

The real question is not what the GPLv3 does or does not allow, it is
what copyright does or does not allow.  If a work is derived under
copyright law from a GPLed piece of work, then it must be GPLed.  If a
work is *not* derived under copyright law from a GPLed piece of work,
the GPL is going to have trouble restricting it.  If you write any
other copyright license, you'll run into the same issue.

That said, this is all very vague.  There isn't a lot of case law
about what is and isn't a derived work in software.  There is a lot of
folklore and opinions.  However until an actual judge makes an actual
decision, nobody really knows what will happen.  And different
countries have different copyright laws and precedents.  What flies in
the USA may not fly in Germany, and vice versa.

Note, I am not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice.  I highly
recommend not taking any concrete action that potentially skirts the
GPL until after you engage a real lawyer.  Even then I'd recommend
caution.  The legal basis of the GPL has held up in several countries,
so the only real question is whether it applies to you.