[License-discuss] GPL and proprietary WebAPIs

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Fri Dec 23 18:08:03 UTC 2011

Chad Perrin wrote:
> Take the most restrictive reasonable interpretation of both if you want
> to play it safe.

That's true as far as it goes but leaves out the fun part of the analysis.
The evaluation of risk -- particularly legal risk -- involves the analysis
of many factors. Sometimes "the most restrictive reasonable interpretation"
is way beyond what actual risks exists: Who will have standing to sue? What
are potential damages? Is an injunction likely? Can I easily design-around
or re-implement? What is the timeframe of the risk? And with regard to this
irrational fear of the reach of the GPL regarding functional linking that is
but one minor factor in a complex derivative work analysis, what is the risk
that some court will force me to disclose my *copyright-independent* crown
jewel proprietary stuff or give away my patents?

/Larry