[License-discuss] a Free Island Public License?

Stephie King stephie.maths at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 19:53:22 UTC 2011

This definitely conflicts with the GPL, and may not qualify as open source.
It does remind me of the OSL 3.0 vaguely. I believe in the OSL 3.0 you can
specify proprietary use covered by patents that are not granted to anyone
with copies of the software. The GPL specifies open patent licensing.
Everyone with the software is issued the rights of the patent.

It almost seems like the "island" is a way to avoid patents, while
restricting usage. How do you intend to specify what is proprietary in
addendum to open source without a patent?  Is that the original purpose
here? Is it by the method the software is used or an actual piece of a
collection of programs that is proprietary? I think the language needs to
be more specific concerning other types of software IP, e.g. trademarks.