commercial distribution

Ben Tilly btilly at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 20:08:21 UTC 2011

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 12:54 PM, David Woolley
<forums at david-woolley.me.uk> wrote:
> Buddhika Chandradeepa Kurera wrote:
>
>> As long as you offer them not-restricted usage, modification and
>> distribution with the source available the application can be treated as
>
> And, in particular, you must give them the right and the ability to create a
> different installer, which doesn't include the advertising, and to
> distribute that.

Open source licensing can force a certain amount of advertising.  See
for example section 14 of http://www.opensource.org/licenses/CPAL-1.0.
 (I still think that should not have been approved due to OSD #10.
But it was.)

Incidentally the display of the license on that webpage is messed up.
If you want to see it better formatted you'll should view source.  (It
is still not well formatted there.)