NASA Open Source Agreement v1.3

Jeremy Wright wrightjmf at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 13:50:24 UTC 2011

I searched the archive, but couldn't find this topic elsewhere.

It's my understanding that the OSI has approved version 1.3 of the
NASA Open Source Agreement (NOSA), but the FSF (Free Software
Foundation) has a problem with section 3, paragraph G of the license.
The issue that the FSF cites is as follows:

"The NASA Open Source Agreement, version 1.3, is not a free software
license because it includes a provision requiring changes to be your
“original creation”. Free software development depends on combining
code from third parties, and the NASA license doesn't permit this."

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html

Does this mean that the OSI and FSF disagree on the interpretation of
section 3-G, or is the ability to include third party software not an
OSI requirement for an open source license? I couldn't find any
specific mention to the inclusion of third party code in the Open
Source Definition, so I wanted to clarify.

http://opensource.org/docs/osd

Here's a link to the NOSA license.

http://opensource.gsfc.nasa.gov/documents/NASA_Open_Source_Agreement_1.3.pdf

Thanks,