openbravo license: another variant of the MPL

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Thu Apr 28 03:17:04 UTC 2011

Karl Fogel scripsit:

> Thoughts welcome... badgeware is a slippery slope.  I haven't seen all
> the past discussions on it, but my tentative feeling is we need to be
> very careful that attribution requirements do not become burdensome,
> either technically or from a business/publicity perspective.  OBPL seems
> to fail at least the first test, I think.

The problem with badgeware licenses is that they prevent people from
using parts of the code in other kinds of software.  The CPAL is careful
to speak only of showing the logo "if possible".

--
We pledge allegiance to the penguin             John Cowan
and to the intellectual property regime         cowan at ccil.org
for which he stands, one world under            http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
Linux, with free music and open source
software for all.               --Julian Dibbell on Brazil, edited