Multi-license - won't it conflict?

Karl Fogel kfogel at red-bean.com
Mon Apr 18 05:30:45 UTC 2011

"M.I.Z Khalid" <itsols at gmail.com> writes:
>Thank you all for your inputs. I'm no lawyer either :)
>
>From this thread of mails, I've observed that:
>
>1. If I'm the copyright owner, I can re-license it in any way I like.
>And it won't conflict.
>
>2. GPL is a commercial license.

All open source licenses are compatible with commercial activity, by
definition.  (Sometimes people assume open source is anti-commercial
because open source licenses are not proprietary, but "proprietary" and
"commercial" are two different things.)

>But I'd like to know is specifically, where in the GPL text does it
>mention these above points.

These rights do not come from the text of the GPL.  They come from
copyright law itself (in some jurisdictions, that is).

Again, not a lawyer, etc,
-Karl