Announcing OWFa and CLA 1.0

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Sat Apr 2 08:04:28 UTC 2011

John Cowan wrote:

> In that case, the company needs to transfer the copyright, which is not

Which is what "assign" means.

> the same thing as a CLA.  A CLA gives the upstream certain rights, but
> the copyright remains with the originator.

Agreed.

> What I don't see is why an upstream license should be different from a
> downstream license.

In the case I know of, Asterisk, it is because the primary developer
wants to be able to use contributions in their commercial products, so
in return for acting as publisher and managing a bug reporting system,
they only deal with contributions under their CLA.  The CLA is not open
source.

--
David Woolley