GPL Issue

dtemeles at nvalaw.com dtemeles at nvalaw.com
Wed Sep 22 04:40:21 UTC 2010

Raj - you are mistaken in assuming that a contract must be bilateral.
Various societies dating back thousands of years have allowed both
bilateral and unilateral contracts.  (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contract#Bilateral_and_unilateral_contracts for a
simple description of the difference between bilateral and unilateral
contracts with a bonus discussion of conditions precedent).  English
and US common law absolutely include unilateral contracts and open
source licenses are often used in this manner.

You are correct, however in the end result.  If one rejects the
unilateral license agreement applicable to open source software that
the individual downloads, then clearly the individual has no license
to use the software and any use that violates the author's exclusive
rights under 17 USC 106 would constitute infringement (unless excused
elsewhere in the code or unless sufficient facts exist to create an
implied license).

IAAL, but not your lawyer and this is not legal advice.