Google's patent license for VP8 [was: Google WebM?]

Wilson, Andrew andrew.wilson at intel.com
Sat May 22 00:50:44 UTC 2010

Chris DiBona wrote:

> As an FYI, we're all pretty busy at Google I/O, so I wouldn't expect much from us this week.

Chris, when you get un-busy, perhaps you could share why Google invented a new
license (BSD+patent) rather than using Apache 2.0?  The defensive suspension is
a bit broader than Apache's in your BSD+patent, but the overall gestalt of the two licenses
is obviously quite similar, and I'd be curious to know why you felt a
new license is necessary and whether you plan to submit it for OSI approval.

cheers

Andy Wilson
Intel open source technology center