updating the MPL

Luis Villa lvilla at mozilla.com
Wed Mar 10 17:44:44 UTC 2010

Hello, license-discuss!

Earlier today Mozilla announced that we're launching a community
process to update, simplify, and modernize the MPL. You can find more
information about the process at http://mpl.mozilla.org/

We've already been in contact with the OSI board, and plan to address
issues such as making the license more generic, reducing the need for
proliferation, working with MPL variants and asking OSI to deprecate the
old license once we're done.  We're fairly confident that the updated
version will continue to fulfill the requirements of the Open Source
Definition, but want to make sure this is the case and continues to be
the case. Your feedback on the MPL's compliance with the OSD would be a
great help here.

We'd like to extend a particular welcome to the members of this list,
and make sure information about the process and participation fora are
easy to find. We will of course continue to monitor and participate in
license-discuss list for comments/thoughts regarding the MPL update
process, though we're hoping we can aggregate many comments through our
own tools:

     * co-ment for comments on the issues, text, etc. The more that can
be done via co-ment the better, given our limited bandwidth for reading
and discussion. Available at http://mpl.mozilla.org/participate/comment/

     * mpl-update mailing list for discussion of the process and
important announcements like new drafts, information at:
http://www.mozilla.org/community/developer-forums.html#governance-mpl-update

Please feel free to join the process through any of these tools, or to
contact me directly if there is a topic that doesn't seem to fit in
either of those tools.

Thanks- look forward to working with you-
Luis (on behalf of Mitchell, Gerv, and Harvey)

--
Luis Villa, Mozilla Legal
work email: lvilla at mozilla.com (preferred)