Open Data Definition at OSCON

Russ Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Wed Jun 30 03:18:00 UTC 2010

Luis Villa writes:
 > On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 7:39 PM, Luis Villa <luis at tieguy.org> wrote:
 > > On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 7:05 PM, Russ Nelson <nelson at crynwr.com> wrote:
 > >> I'm running a BOF at OSCON on Wednesday night at 7PM, with the
 > >> declared purpose of writing an Open Source Definition for Open Data.
 > >> Safe enough to say that the OSD has been quite successful in laying
 > >> out a set of criteria for what is, and what is not, Open Source.  I
 > >> think we can and should do the same thing for Open Data.
 > >
 > > http://www.opendefinition.org/ ?
 >
 > Sorry, that was sent without context. Should have said that many
 > people have been working on this problem for some time;
 > opendefinition.org is one of them, but there are others as well. I'm
 > certainly happy to make some introductions if you're interested.

Fair enough ... so then the BOF attendees should review it and
recommend that OSI endorse it, or not.  The point of this exercise is
not to create something from scratch, but instead for OSI to take a
position on open data backed up by community input.

Crynwr supports open source software
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315-600-8815
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  |     Sheepdog