License compatibility problem

François Amato towfas at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 14:43:19 UTC 2010

Hello,

I hope I'm sending this at the good place, please tell me if it's not the
case.

I'm an independent developer. I've created a small project and I'd like to
make it open source. For that, I need help to choose an appropriate
open-source license.

My project is a simplistic IDE for Free Pascal. The problem I have is that
I'm using a special text box control for syntax colouring, and .Net
bindings for this control. Both these projects are open-source but with a
custom license. So I can't figure which license I can use for my project.

Here are the licenses for the control (Scintilla) and the bindings
(ScintillaNet). I also had to modify ScintillaNet to fit my needs.

ScintillaNET is based on the Scintilla component by Neil Hodgson.

ScintillaNET is released on this same license.

The ScintillaNET bindings are Copyright 2002-2006 by Garrett Serack
<gserack at gmail.com>

All Rights Reserved

Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its
documentation for any purpose and without fee is hereby granted, provided
that the above copyright notice appear in all copies and that both that
copyright notice and this permission notice appear in supporting
documentation.

GARRETT SERACK AND ALL EMPLOYERS PAST AND PRESENT DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES
WITH REGARD TO THIS SOFTWARE, INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS, IN NO EVENT SHALL GARRETT SERACK AND ALL
EMPLOYERS PAST AND PRESENT BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INDIRECT OR
CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF
USE, DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR
OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR
PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE.

The license for Scintilla is as follows:
Copyright 1998-2006 by Neil Hodgson <neilh at scintilla.org>

All Rights Reserved

Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its
documentation for any purpose and without fee is hereby granted, provided
that the above copyright notice appear in all copies and that both that
copyright notice and this permission notice appear in supporting
documentation.

NEIL HODGSON DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES WITH REGARD TO THIS SOFTWARE,
INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS, IN NO
EVENT SHALL NEIL HODGSON BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INDIRECT OR
CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF
USE, DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR
OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR
PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE.

Thanks in advance for your help !

François Amato

-- Utilisant le client e-mail révolutionnaire d'Opera :
http://www.opera.com/mail/