BSD variants (was: RE: The Legal Tower of Babel, was Re: WebM license resolution.)

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Mon Jun 7 21:16:26 UTC 2010

On Mon, 7 Jun 2010, Wilson, Andrew wrote:

> > As an example, I have a book compilation of only 620 manual pages from
> > NetBSD which has 103 unique licenses. 99 are BSD-style licensed and 12
> > MIT-style (some files have multiple licenses). 99 different BSD
> > licenses!
>
> Do these 99 flavors differ by more than the name of the licensor, or
> are there material changes to the license grant?

The copyright lines are excluded in my counts. But in many cases the
licensor is listed by name as part of the license and/or disclaimer. So
I count those different.

But many minor changes in the license, clauses, and/or disclaimers even
for punctuation. For example (ignore the licensor is different):

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms are permitted provided
that the above copyright notice and this paragraph are duplicated in all
such forms and that any documentation, advertising materials, and other
materials related to such distribution and use acknowledge that the
software was developed by the University of California, Berkeley.

modification, are permitted provided that this notice is retained, the
conditions in the following notices are met, and terms applying to
contributors in the following notices also apply to Berkeley Software
Design, Inc.

modifications, are permitted provided that the above copyright notice
and this paragraph are duplicated in all such forms and that any
documentation, advertising materials, and other materials related to
such distribution and use acknowledge that the software was developed by
the WIDE Project, Japan.

Redistribution and use, with or without modification, in source and
binary forms, are permitted provided that this notice is preserved in
its entirety and due credit is given to the original author and the
contributors.