Deriving new works from an application using Eclipse Public License v1.0

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Fri Jul 23 20:19:43 UTC 2010

Chris Melikian wrote:

> My question is, can I take the source code as a starting point, rip
> out what I don't need, add my own code and sell the product 100% as my
> own?

No.  A licence that permitted that would be rather unusual.

In Europe it may be legally impossible, because it would be denying
"moral rights".

> What would I need to include in my software if anything  in terms of
> license information or anything?

What your lawyer tells you to include.  However, on a quick skim, as
well as the copyright notices for the input materials (even Microsoft
does this for binary only distributions), if you distribute source code,
you must use the EPL.  If you only distribute binary, you are required
to be compatible, which will require the lawyer, if you don't want to
use something very close to the EPL.

I feel that the fact that you needed to ask means it is essential that
you get professional legal advice.

--
David Woolley