what defines source code in (A)GPL ?

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Tue Jul 13 06:57:00 UTC 2010

Wilson, Andrew wrote:

> Note this illustrates why SW patents in general are considered
> toxic by engineers, because engineers have no way to know which algorithms
> in source code they read are patented.

The other big problem is that you don't even need to have seen the other
product to fall foul of patents.  That strongly favours companies big
enough to employ lots of lawyers, and severely inhibits innovations,
which is the opposite of the intended purpose of patents.  Although, in
theory, trivial and obvious things are not patentable, big company
marketing departments tend to succeed in patenting the most obvious
things, probably because they believe their own propaganda that they are
innovative.

There is a real threat to small software developers, including those of
proprietary software, that the cost and time needed to patent clear
software may be much much more than the cost and time needed to develop it.

I believe that Richard Stallman comes from a pure academic tradition,
that knowledge should be available to everyone and available for their use.

--
David Woolley