Doubt concerning releasing code anonymously

André Barbosa andreqb at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 19:07:40 UTC 2010

Hello,
This is my first participation in this mailing list and I am glad I am able
to talk with other people of the OSI community. Here is my problem:

I am thinking about releasing a program and I want it to have the same
assurances that has an Open Source licensed software like the BSD one.

I have been searching for some documentation concerning the topic and I
couldn't find anything related.

I also thought about releasing it under a nickname instead of my real name,
because that I have already seen around the web but I have never read in a
license terms one could do that.

Then I though about releasing without any license, then I came across this
in the OSI faq:
'Is $PROGRAM Open Source?Only if it uses one of the approved
licenses<http://opensource.org/licenses>,
and releases appropriate software.Can I call my program "Open Source" even
if I don't use an approved license?You can call you program "Bob" if you
want, but if you call it "Open Source" without using an approved license,
you will be confusing people. Please don't. Companies that confuse partners
and potential customers tend to drive them away."'I would be glad if someone
could shed me some light on this.

Thanks for your help.