Which license to choose?

Tzeng, Nigel H. Nigel.Tzeng at jhuapl.edu
Fri Feb 26 19:49:54 UTC 2010

EPL isn't likely an option given he uses GPL libraries.

http://www.eclipse.org/legal/eplfaq.php#MODULEDIST

"The EPL and the GPL are not compatible in any combination where the result would be considered either: (a) a "derivative work" (which Eclipse interprets consistent with the definition of that term in the U.S. Copyright Act ) or (b) a work "based on" the GPL code, as that phrase is used in the GPLv2<http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0.html>, GPLv3<http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl.html> or the GPL FAQ<http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl-faq.html> as applicable. Further, you may not combine EPL and GPL code in any scenario where source code under those licenses are both the same source code module.

Based upon the position<http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/> of the Free Software Foundation, you may not combine EPL and GPL code in any scenario where linking exists between code made available under those licenses. The above applies to both GPL version 2 and GPL version 3."

While I believe that the EPL position is correct wrt derivative works IANAL and I wouldn't care to be the guinea pig to test that position.

He can release his code using LGPL but I doubt anyone but another GPL project would reuse his code anyway given the dependencies on GLPK.

For the data in his database he can release using Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike (CC-SA-BY).  I think that is the closest match to what he wants.

Regards,

Nigel