Licensing question

Chris Travers chris at metatrontech.com
Fri Feb 26 18:43:55 UTC 2010

Just a note as to why FOSS developers might disagree.

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 9:42 PM, Mark James <mrj at advancedcontrols.com.au> wrote:

> - Like OSS, source is available, and can be freely redistributed and
> modified, as long as
>  recipients are informed that they have to purchase a licence from the
> original author
>  if and when they make production use of either the software or a derived
> version.

So, that is a typical shareware license.  However with it you lose two
major advantages of FOSS:  Multi-vendor support and the ability to
fork if necessary.

> - The original author can grant contributors and forkers free licences or
> revenue shares.

I have been in cases where in order to support my customers I had to
fork against the wishes of the original software owner.  If you want
to restrict this, fine.  And I would exercise my right not to use your
software ;-)

>  1. Exposing the source and build system, allowing easy customization and
> repair, and
>  2. The unhindered cooperative development model made possible by
> unrestricted redistribution.

There are also two others.

1)  Choice of vendors for support.
2)  The ability of a vendor to fork if necessary (rarely needed but
really handy if it becomes necessary).

> But I don't see the beer-wise free aspect of OSS as being practical and
> important in all
> circumstances, particularly for smaller packages. TANSTAAFB!

I have been in business since 2003.  I have made my living on FOSS
during that time.  The beerwise element is a loss leader.  We make
money on support services.

> There needs to be a way to fund open software so that it can be more than
> just a
> side-line or a path to a proprietary software job, and doesn't rely on
> pan-handling, advertising, or the freemium model (charging for closed documentation,
> support, or components).

There is, at least for business software.  In most cases, the best
apps only do 80-90% of what the customer really wants because every
customer is slightly different.  Once you understand that, not only do
you get to charge for support, you get to charge to help the customer
maximize the usability of the software.  The better you know the
software, and the more central your position in the community, the
more you can charge per hour.  Consider the free download and
downstream support companies as being free advertising and you begin
to understand....

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers