Releasing JUnit tests for GPL code

Thomas Léauté thomas.leaute at epfl.ch
Fri Feb 12 15:43:10 UTC 2010

Hi there,

I am working on a piece of software that is distributed under GPL_v3. The project uses JUnit for unit testing, and we would like to also distribute the JUnit tests, as a proof of quality of our software. However we are facing a license incompatibility issue : our JUnit tests obviously link to our GPL code, so, the only possible choice of license for the JUnit tests is the GPL, but they also use the JUnit library (by subclassing JUnit classes), which is distributed under the CPL, which is GPL-incompatible.

Is there a way around this?

I can already see two options:

1) Distribute the JUnit tests without a license.

2) Ditch JUnit and go for another unit test library. For instance, I have been looking into TestNG. TestNG is distributed under the Apache License v_2, which is GPL-compatible, so it could work out. But then, TestNG was designed to also be able to run JUnit tests, which makes it depend itself on JUnit.

Thomas