GNU GPL can't force payment?

Tzeng, Nigel H. Nigel.Tzeng at jhuapl.edu
Wed Dec 15 15:42:42 UTC 2010

I think that used to be the case.  Googling “university sues ip –RIAA -internet” generates a few interesting hits (CalTech, Univ of New Mexico are two tech related ones).  IP has become more important to universities over the last decade or so.

Picking schools not my own :) I see that the University of Colorado’s OTT has generated anywhere from 22M to 2.8M a year in the last 5 years.

https://www.cu.edu/techtransfer/downloads/FY09-10_metrics.pdf

MIT’s TLO generated $76.2M in FY2010.

http://web.mit.edu/tlo/www/about/faq.html#a1

Most of that is patents but there’s usually a section titled software stuck in there somewhere (typically generating very little).  Filing IP disclosures to their tech office (even for software) is now a much more common thing among academics.