Do download sites violate GNU GPL programs?

Oleksandr Gavenko gavenkoa at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 22:26:41 UTC 2010

On 2010-12-15 0:08, David Woolley wrote:
> Oleksandr Gavenko wrote:
>
>> If uploader is author (and have exclusive right)
>> they may do not do this.
>
> Inclusion on sourceforge is conditional on the software being open
> source, so any upload to sourceforge must include source.

According to

   http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sitelegal/wiki/Terms_of_Use

Geeknet acknowledges that there may be situations where posting Source
Code is not reasonably feasible, examples of such situations are when
you are posting Code that: ... (b) is otherwise readily available in
Source Code form online as part of an Open Source distribution, and
where you notify users that the Source Code for such distribution is
available elsewhere on the Internet (and you also provide a link to that
location); or (c) Geeknet agrees in writing does not need to be posted
in Source Code form.

I know widely used Parted Magic project which have Geeknet agrees
or violate SourceForge terms (here only one binary):

   http://sourceforge.net/projects/partedmagic/files/

and

   http://sourceforge.net/projects/partedmagic/develop

point to empty git repo.