GNU GPL vs. source code fees

Richard Fontana rfontana at redhat.com
Tue Dec 14 17:18:07 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 12:07:15PM -0500, John Cowan wrote:
> Richard Fontana scripsit:
>
> > Er, the words "ten times" don't appear in GPLv3. :-)
>
> You're right.  I think I remembered that from a pre-publication draft.

Yes, I'd forgotten that but I see that that was in the first
discussion draft of GPLv3, in the clause providing the written offer
option.

A footnote in the FSF's Rationale Document accompanying GPLv3 Draft 2
says:

  Responding to arguments made in several public comments, we have
  decided to restore the requirement, relaxed in Draft1, that the
  price of the copy of the Corresponding Source be limited to the
  reasonable cost of physically performing source distribution.

- RF