LGPL, purchasing product that links or modifies libraries under LGPL

Ben Tilly btilly at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 03:42:30 UTC 2010

The answer to both cases is that as long as the source code is
distributed to you in addition to the binary, all source
responsibilities are trivially satisfied.

For instance in the GPL v3, article 6a allows you to convey the binary
to someone as long as you distribute source at the same time.  All GPL
variants have a very similar clause.

If you later distribute that work to anyone else, then that becomes
another kettle of fish entirely.