Embargoing certain countries, but still being open source

Chris DiBona cdibona at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 16:56:11 UTC 2009

Hi Anton;
Such a license would simply not be open source, and as such, we're unlikely
to be a big help. Geographical restrictions have a hard time matching up
with the open source definition,  See clause 5:
5. No Discrimination Against Persons or Groups

The license must not discriminate against any person or group of persons.

*Rationale:* In order to get the maximum benefit from the process, the
maximum diversity of persons and groups should be equally eligible to
contribute to open sources. Therefore we forbid any open-source license from
locking anybody out of the process.

Some countries, including the United States, have export restrictions for
certain types of software. An OSD-conformant license may warn licensees of
applicable restrictions and remind them that they are obliged to obey the
law; however, it may not incorporate such restrictions itself.

From:
http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.php
On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 11:54 PM, Anton Lauridsen <anton.lauridsen at gmail.com

--
Open Source Programs Manager, Google Inc.
Google's Open Source program can be found at http://code.google.com