Questions about the two-clause BSD license

Pimm Hogeling pimmhogeling at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 20:33:48 UTC 2009

Hello Open So(u)rcerers,

In the near future I will be releasing a library. Because this library would
work best if widely adopted, I'm going to license it under a permissive
license.

Now as I look at the two-clause BSD license closely, a question comes to
mind. The second, binary form-, clause states:
"Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice,
this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation
and/or other materials provided with the distribution."

The first clause obligates the licensee to keep in the same information
(copyright notice, conditions and the disclaimer) in the source code. If the
source code is available "in the same way through the same place", would
that source code count as "other materials provided with the distribution"?
And how about including the source code in the same package?

Not looking for legal advice, I would just like to hear what your thoughts
are about this.

Thanks in advance,

Pimm Hogeling