Open Source application GPL legality

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Wed Oct 14 19:31:29 UTC 2009

Björn Terelius scripsit:

> If I understand you correctly, you want to release your game as open
> source, but are at the same time worried that people will use your
> code to develop cheats. Unfortunately, there is no simple way around
> this problem; if you release how the client is supposed to work and
> interact with the server, then anyone can create modified client that
> gives the user an unfair advantage.

At this point, everyone still concerned with this problem, and
*especially* shd, should go and read Eric Raymond's "The Case of the
Quake Cheats" at http://catb.org/esr/writings/quake-cheats.html .
It's all there: the problem, the various solutions, the refutations of
those solutions, etc.  No real need to rehash it here.

--
Knowledge studies others / Wisdom is self-known;      John Cowan
Muscle masters brothers / Self-mastery is bone;       cowan at ccil.org
Content need never borrow / Ambition wanders blind;   http://ccil.org/~cowan
Vitality cleaves to the marrow / Leaving death behind.    --Tao 33 (Bynner)