GPL with the Classpath exception - clarification needed (off-topic)

Wilson, Andrew andrew.wilson at intel.com
Sat Mar 28 00:06:11 UTC 2009

Dag-Erling Smørgrav [mailto:des at des.no] wrote:

> "Wilson, Andrew" <andrew.wilson at intel.com> writes:
>> Exhibit number one would be Simula, the very first O-O language,
>> which was originally implemented as a pre-processor for Algol 60.
>
> Uh, no.  Simula requires a heap and garbage collection.  Algol has
> neither.

You are correct.  I should have blown the dust off my
copy of "Simula Begin" before posting.
The /original/ design of the Simula language was
indeed for an Algol-60 preprocessor, but Dahl and Nygaard
hit a dead end and eventually had to build their own
compiler and runtime.
See http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~cim/sim_history.html

My Simula coding days were with the much later Simula-67
compiler for TOPS-10.  You could get the full source
from DECUS for the price of a mag tape.  Makes me smile
when people refer to free/open source SW as a
radical new concept.

Andy Wilson
Intel open source technology center