GPL with the Classpath exception - clarification needed

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Fri Mar 27 16:06:50 UTC 2009

I've been reading this thread with some frustration. Everything said so far
has been about the technological differences between C++ links and class
references, yet there isn't a single pointer to the law of derivative works
that could help a judge decide how this license is to apply or help
companies understand why a different license than the LGPL is needed. And
almost none of the technical distinctions being drawn here, interesting
though they are to a former programmer like me, are actually reflected in
the words of the license itself.

Why "yet another license" (GPL+Classpath) when OSL 3.0 already handles this
case correctly under copyright law?

/Larry