[FTF-Legal] FW: [Ossi] DISA to open source administrative software

Carlo carlo at piana.eu
Wed Mar 18 15:08:01 UTC 2009

Dear Larry,

Well,

it seems a Good Thing (TM) that:

a) they have released it under free and open source software conditions;
b) they have chosen licenses already available instead of inventing a
new one (EU should learn from this).

I am not entirely sure I understand the double licensing decision, but
being them both free and open source  software licenses, I think I am fine.

I cannot comment very much in front of you about the actual choice of
the licence(s) because we already know we have different opinions about
what are to be preferred, ça va sans dire... What could disturb me is
that both licenses are GPL-incompatible, as per the FSF's assessment --
not sure I agree --, but this is not something you have not heard
before, I guess, and perhaps you don't agree with it.

Why not a... triple licensing? ;-)

With best regards,

Carlo

========================
Avv. Carlo Piana

Piazza Castello 24 - 20121 Milan - Italy
phone +39 02 72 00000 3
fax +39 02 86 90 901
http://law.piana.eu (firm)
http://www.piana.eu (blog)
email carlo at piana.eu

**NEW** gpg/pgp public key: http://www.piana.eu/gpg
Fingerprint 9046 9688 5465 DDF8 D712 4A7C 7F30 CB15 4580 F067
#old key was revoked, please use the new one#

Law is Freedom, and Freedom is all the rest.
Protecting digital freedom, your rights!