Freeing my code... need some guidance

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Sun Jan 11 04:16:22 UTC 2009

Ben Tilly wrote:
> One of his desires is that his employer be bound by his license.  If
> they own the software, they are unlikely to agree with that.

I (almost) said that ("the company can still do what they like with it
(which includes potentially not mentioning their [this is a typo; I
meant his] name)").

> His reasons include, "Because I want to use this in a business I am
> planning to found."  Most employers won't like that reason very much.
> :-)

That's not /necessarily/ hurting the business.  Businesses don't
(always) try to do everything themselves.

> He has to come up with a reason that is palatable to them.  For
> instance, "If you let me open source this, I will be so enthusiastic
> that I'll put in extra time on nights and weekends."

True, or one of the others ("We'll probably get outside contributions",
"It will be good PR for the company", "It will create demand for our
other products", etc.)

> Re-reading, I did make an assumption there.  However I note that even
> if he did develop it on the side, it may still be owned by his
> employer.

Right.

Matt Flaschen