which license to use for software using components with GPL, LGPL and EPL?

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Mon Aug 31 20:25:36 UTC 2009

Ian Vernon scripsit:

> >The first thing to do is talk to a lawyer.  The GPL and EPL are not
> compatible but the communities also have different ideas of when the
> licenses matter.  The fact of the matter is that >there are big questions
> regarding WHEN the GPL requires that a component is under the GPL as well.
>
> Thanks. So far in the industry I have seen EPL components on LGPL published
> software but all are derivative works. Is there no compatibility issues
> between LGPL and EPL?

There are not, provided you keep the LGPLed parts and EPLed parts in
separate files, and make sure to obey the restrictions of both licenses.
It's a big mistake to think that open-source software is there for you
to use however you want.  There are conditions, and you must obey them.

I am not a lawyer; this is not legal advice.

--
John Cowan   cowan at ccil.org  http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
Most languages are dramatically underdescribed, and at least one is