GPLV3 or LGPL

Ben Tilly btilly at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 17:01:02 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 1:25 AM, Ian Vernon<ian.q at telia.com> wrote:
> Gents and Ladies,
>
> Perhaps you can help me out with a small hint. We are due to release the
> first version of our product and is stuck with which license to use GPLV3 or
> LGPL. We wanted that the product be used by a wide user base and interface
> with other products and system of which most are closed source and
> prorietary, but we would also like to have some level of protection being
> the originator of the product. For this purpose would LGPL more suitable
> that GPLV3 and what are the main differences other than the obvious as
> written in the license conditions.
>
> Thanks in advance for your assistance

Standard disclaimer.  I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice, etc.

My opinion is that the biggest things you have to decide are your
business model, and your purpose in releasing this software as open
source.  Once you know that you'll be in a better position to choose a
license that says what you need it to say.

In general the LGPL is more likely to be accepted and integrated with
proprietary products.  That would help adoption.  This is good if your
goal for this product includes advertising, generating consulting
work, or marketing some other product that this product enables.
However using the GPL enables you to charge proprietary vendors a fee
for the right to use your product, which can provide a good revenue
stream.  This can be a business model in itself.

Once you decide how releasing this product as open source contributes
to your bottom line, your choice of license may be clearer.

Cheers,
Ben