How do I choose a licence

Russ Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Mon Aug 10 19:54:03 UTC 2009

Aaron Aichlmayr writes:
 > With the plentitude of licences out there how do I choose the one that
 > is right for me? I am making a new php application and would like to
 > stick to an open source licence on the approved list but don't know half
 > of what I'm looking at.

Tell us what's important to you, and we'll suggest something.

BTW, Bruce Perens is *free* to think that three licenses is
sufficient.  If he wants to demonstrate the truth of his idea, he need
merely convince someone to stop using their license in favor of one of
his three.  How about, say, the Eclipse Foundation, or the Python
Foundation, or the PHP Foundation, or the Perl Foundation?  Pick one
and report success or fail...

Crynwr supports open source software
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315-323-1241
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  |     Sheepdog