GPL, BSD, commercial

Wilson, Andrew andrew.wilson at intel.com
Wed Apr 1 18:43:44 UTC 2009

Matthew Flaschen wrote:

>> Another way to reformulate this last question might be: if I develop a
>> program which uses a GPL3 library and I release the source code of my
>> program under the GPL3 license, can I also release/sell closed-source
>> commercial licenses for the same program to the customers that request
>> for it in order to develop closed-source programs?
>
> Probably not.  If you accept the library under the GPLv3, you can not
> distribute proprietary derivatives.  That is not the same question. :)

Matt, if "my program" in this context is an original work where Michele is
the copyright owner and which is not derived from GPL code, then
I think his question may be about dual licensing of his original code,
not the (L)GPL libraries. In that case, the answer for dual licensing
GPL/proprietary of Michele's original code would be "probably yes."

I am not a lawyer.  Michele, you need a real lawyer for
these questions.

Andy Wilson
Intel open source technology center