Apache License v2.0

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Fri Sep 26 23:52:07 UTC 2008

Chuck Swiger wrote:
> See https://www.redhat.com/apps/download/

I think you're misunderstanding what they're saying.  Red Hat charges
for binaries (+accoutrements), as they are entitled to do so.  But they
give anyone who has binaries source code for gratis, which means there's
no source-code ransoming.

> Of course, Fedora is also available, but it seems to be quite difficult
> to get the actual Redhat sources, even ones under the GPL, without
> placing an order to get a subscription #/login account.

This has been claimed repeatedly lately, but isn't accurate.  It's right
where you would expect, on RedHat's FTP server.

ftp.redhat.com
pub/redhat (only option)
linux
enterprise
5Server

Of course, I expect they would comply with a written request as well.

  Even the 30-day
> free evaluation requires you to register and agree to pay for the
> software if you use it longer than the trial period.

This is "binary-ransoming", which no one has a problem with.

Matt Flaschen