Apache License v2.0

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Fri Sep 26 22:53:40 UTC 2008

> I grant that these two modes of providing access to the source
> are permitted, but I don't see that they are the exclusive modes.
> In particular, Licensor's obligation to provide source code may require
> Licensee to do something not mentioned in the License (such as pay extra
> for it).

Really? Do you know of anyone who does that?

> The only thing Licensor can't do is to provide no terms at
> all for access to the Source Code.
>
> (The GPL adds "at no more than the cost of distribution" language to
> prevent such source-code ransoming: as I recall, I urged you to do
> the same.)

And I rejected your urging as unnecessary, adding extra words to solve a
non-problem. Can you show me any real example of source-code ransoming?

> I believe my original point stands: if you have no access to any form
> of a licensed work, you have no rights under its license.  This is a
> Good Thing; otherwise I could round up 100,000 friends and demand that
> you send each of them a copy of any Open Source code you happen to have.

If that was your original point, ok. But I thought your answer strayed way
beyond that into a general statement about how open source and various
licenses work, and in that you were wrong.

If you want to round up 100,000 friends to copy any of my open source code
or that of any of my clients, tell them to help themselves. The "code" is
posted on various websites. That's how most open source projects work. We
welcome downloads. Those download stats turn into real value sometimes.

/Larry