Apache License v2.0

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Fri Sep 26 05:02:20 UTC 2008

Arthur Tam scripsit:

> I would like to know where Apache
> License 2.0 stated the program with such license require to make the
> source available (I'm not meaning the 'modified work')? I can find it
> in GPLv3. Thanks in advance for any reply.

The Apache license, like most permissive licenses, does not actually
grant you access to the source code: it presumes that you already have it.
It is possible to license a random blob of binary bits under the Apache
License, but the result is not Open Source, as it contravenes OSD #2.

I am not a lawyer; this is not legal advice, but it is not the
unauthorized practice of law, either.

--
But the next day there came no dawn,            John Cowan
and the Grey Company passed on into the         cowan at ccil.org
darkness of the Storm of Mordor and were        http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
lost to mortal sight; but the Dead
followed them.          --"The Passing of the Grey Company"