New author continuing work on "dormant" project

Charles Daniels cjdaniels4 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 20:27:38 UTC 2008

I am picking up development on a project that has been dormant for a few
years. The copyright holder has given me full admin/developer privileges on
his existing project (housed at sourceforge.net). I will be adding support
for current standards.
My question is, how do I handle the license text both in new files that I
will be adding as well as in old files that I modify? In particular, the
copyright contains the years 2002/2003 in all of the current files.

1. When I modify an existing file, do I add the year 2008 to the list of
years?
2. When I create a new file, do I only specify 2008, leaving 2002/2003 out
of the copyright?

The license is BSD.

Thanks,
Chuck